Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

You can ring my bell (just not before 7:00a.m., please!)

Nothing like an early morning phone call from the USA to get me back to a good sleeping schedule. I totally ignored the ringing phone this morning, as it was only 5:28 a.m. Of course, I laid their nearly 30 minutes with my curiosity getting the better of me. I came downstairs & checked the voicemail, someone for David from Houston Chevron. So anyway, my day has started bright & early which might be good since, I've really had trouble sleeping at night. Kristi & I got up at the crack of dawn yesterday (aka 9:45am) to have our run of the roads. David left us the rental,Chevy Lumina issue, and carpooled with his work buddies. After shower, blow dry, makeup, & breakfast we were out the door. Unfortunately, we had no car keys. To put it very mildly, we were not happy campers. Just as we figured, the keys were in David's pocket...an hour away at the plant. No cabs available. Kristi promptly went back to bed & I worked on a jigsaw puzzle we have going. Needless to say, when David returned home from work he was most happy to drop us at the mall on his way to run errands. We really needed the outing being that this was the 2nd day we hadn't gotten out at all. No Fox News 24/7 to keep me occupied over here (but it's coming!). While we were out, we got a cell phone for me & Kristi to share. We did a little grocery shopping....yes, I'm sipping on my COLUMBIAN coffee as we speak (Juan Valdez would be proud) . Brazilio is on the road for pickup. I don't know if all of you know, but coins are quite rare around here. Their $1 bill over here is worth 27 cents. I've only gotten two coins back in change since I've been here. That being said, the cashier handed me back my change, receipt & a candy bar in lieu of the coins due to me (approx 14 cents is USD). David had told me stories about getting packs of gum for change, but it had never happened to me. I'm in the club now. Kristi & I are off to the American School of Doha today for new student orientation. Yes, I have a visual on the car keys. She's pretty excited about that...an opportunity to meet some fellow students. She has met two students from her school & spent the afternoon at their compound on Saturday. She got a lot of basic info & inside scoop about what to expect. School was originally set to start yesterday, but due to it being a brand new facility they opted to wait a week to open to make sure everything is completely ready. September 9th is the new start date. Now, if you'll excuse me, Juan & I have some unfinished business.

Click for pics of Shea's graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...