Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

360 Restaurant

So here's the lowdown on The Torch Hotel's 360 Restaurant that we talked about a few days ago. Everyone needs to do it at least once, if not for the food, for the experience itself. Where else will you get a spectacular 360 degree view of Doha without leaving your chair and from 47 stories up? Pretty intense. So intense that on the ride up, Kristi announces, "I think I'm going to throw up". Not exactly reassuring "pre~meal" words. So what abut the food? There was an express lunch menu that offered three courses with several options each for 85QR ($23). Let's take it a course at a time.

Kristi and I both opted for the cauliflower soup for our "small" starter. It was delicious. If you don't like salmon, do not let the mention of it in the soup's name scare you off. It's one bite sized piece for decoration and did nothing whatsoever to taint the soup.

Time for the main course. Kristi ordered the "Grilled New Zealand Lamb Medallions". She found it to have more than just a mild wild taste. Also, she was sad to see such a measley portion of broccoli, but enjoyed the two florets, along with her roasted potatoes.

I ordered the "Broiled North Atlantic Salmon". I'm still trying to muddle through exactly why I got that, because it's never been one of my favorites. Unfortunately, 360's version didn't change my mind, but I did love the gravy that came with it. The "potato puree", aka mashed potatoes in my small world, were rich and yummy.

We ordered the "Nougatine Parfait" and the "White Chocolate Brownie...yada, yada, yada for dessert. Why are the food titles so long winded? Cut to the chase, please. The brownie didn't really seem so much, well a brownie that I'm used to anyway. And that huge lemon looking thing on top is passion fruit sorbet that will keep your mouth in a puckered state for a week of Sundays. The parfait was pretty good, nothing I'd write home about, hmm, or is that what I'm doing now?


Bottom line:
85Qr for a 3 course meal in a really nice restaurant in Doha is a pretty good deal. Even though we weren't "wowed" over by our first experience, I'm really glad we visited 360. The menu, we were told, will change weekly. So, maybe we will make better choices next time.

Cheapskate advice of the day:
Drink your after dessert coffee at your favorite local chain afterward, unless you want to pay 27QR for a cup half the size that they offer. Ciao!

Last weeks menu...



To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! May have missed my chance while there, but your smile inducing commentary, photos and opinions make me feel as if I have visited it myself. Thanks! (and with the added benefit of no vomit inducing elevator ride) :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. We had the W Hotel express lunch today but this is much closer to home, so will give it a try. Want to check out the views, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Leonard11/10/11, 3:32 PM

    Ate there last night and was not overly impressed. Starters and mains were nice, but the desserts were not as advertised. Our warm chocolate brownie was actually a very cold slice of chocolate cake. The apple crumble was just apple without any crumble. Waitress not bothered by our comments and never offered an explanation or apology. But the worst thing was the horrible smell of human excrement everywhere. Clearly some work to do with the sewage outlets yet. But the worst thing was, the whole thing stopped revolving at 21:30. I may go back, but not anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris Leonard11/10/11, 3:33 PM

    ha ha - 2 worst things. let's just say they were both bad things.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...