Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, October 2, 2009

Meet "D" on the Mat

It's your lucky day for those family, friends, and lookyloos (is that how it's spelled, Mike?) that were wondering exactly what the heck jiu jitsu is that I spoke of on my kids update post the other day. I've gotten my hands on a video of Dustin's tournament debut in Houston. When I first watched these full grown men grappling and tossing each other on the mat while often being in compromising positions, I was on the edge of my seat yelling at the monitor. It reminded me of stories that my dad used to tell about his dad squawking at the television while watching fake scripted wrestling way back in the day. I felt I was there as I was trying to help Dustin along with every telepathic wave that I could muster up. Never mind that I was 8000 miles away or the killer fact that this was video, thus confirming the fact that it had already taken place. My telepathic waves were being wasted as the outcome had already been decided. I was exhausted after watching the bout. I can only imagine the exhaustion that Dustin and his opponent faced following the match. Dustin is pumped and is already planning his next tournament in Dallas in a couple of weeks. Any sponsors out there? Wink.

Oh, and yes, that is Dustin in the white gi* with his arm raised :D

*–noun a lightweight, two-piece, usually white garment worn by barefooted martial-arts participants, consisting of loose-fitting pants and a wraparound jacket with cloth belt.



For more videos of Dustin and Ryan (Kayla's friend who's got some dang good moves) click here.

thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...