Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So, How Hot is Qatar?



Hot enough, I say! The proof is in the pudding, er, or in the

cookie as in this case...

I found a good use for Qatar's blazing desert sun. I ran across a recipe for car bake cookies a while back and thought, sounds like a blog. I cannot tell a lie. So, I sacrificed my day with the car to put the recipe to the test. Here's how it went...

First, I had to preheat the "oven", so I parked the Tahoe out on the road facing the afternoon to evening sun.






I gathered my ingredients and recipe and made sure my moral support
watched from afar. I mixed all the ingredients according to the directions (sort of, remember I'm a control freak so I did it how I wanted to)



I put the cookie trays in the oven and went about my business and oh, just about three hours later...



Voila!

Results: Slightly crispy on the outside and just a little gooey on the inside. In other words, perfect! Put on a pot of coffee and enjoy.

Click here for original recipe
from Bakingbites.com

I made a few adjustments on the original recipe. Since Doha eggs are pretty small, I added the white of another egg. Also, I used regular sized chocolate chips instead of minis. Oh, and I for sure didn't pop the dough in the freezer overnight after mixing like the recipe suggested. I'm totally an instant gratification gal. I don't have time for such nonsense. So, instead of "slicing" as called for, I spooned dropped them onto the cookie sheets. And, of course, I didn't read the directions until I was half way into the mixing, so my order and the author's was a bit mangled.

Special thanks go to @dohanews for tweeting
the recipe to begin with!




Hot Fun in the Summertime ~ Sly & The Family Stone


To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

14 comments:

  1. ha...i thought that was joke when i glanced at it on facebook. you never cease to amaze me my friend! you baked 'em just like i like them! perfecto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see that your blog post was linked in the Huffington Post? We just moved from Texas to Doha, and I'll be tryingbthis too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see it! Was that crazy or what?! My ten minutes of fame :)

    Welcome to Doha! I checked out your blog. I love to relive those same moments that you're living now. It's a different world here. That's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.. I got this story from gulf times daily. I am going to tweet about it :).

    Best wishes for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deep! It's so funny that they picked the story up. Just gives me something else to blog about...always looking for ideas. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a very nice way to get some use of the blazing heat here in Doha. your story is quite amusing but amazing one. hope to read more from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Landed here from Gulf Times. Way to shoot to fame. You gonna start selling them any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Eric & Freak? :-)

    No way on selling these puppies! It's an all day affair and you can't drive your car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sybil, I'm with Reuters. Can you give me a call at 5561 9823?

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is how Reuters contacts people..? Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous, I was thinking the exact same thing. Duh, I do have an email link :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. good idea
    i ll try it in riyadh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did it! Here in Doha too. It came out really nice. Well, not the best cookies I've ever had, but a great experience, great fun. Thanks for the idea! Actually I'm thinking about cooking meringues in the car as they need a low heat oven. That might work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No doubt the recipe will work in Riyadh, as well!

    Congrats, Estelle. I mean, what else is there to do on a hot desert afternoon, especially during Ramadan! Hmm, meringue cookies, great idea. Let me know how that works out, if I don't try it first!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...