Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Qa~Who? Oh, Quatar!

They did it. Qatar, now known as Katar and Quatar on the Twitter highway, has garnered the coveted position of hosting the World Cup of Football (please don't say soccer) in 2022. I've been reveling with them in their glory from my Texas home on this historic occasion. Trading witticisms with all the #Qatar2022 supporters has been nothing short of entertaining. I fear I may sink into depression when the euphoria wears off. So, what happens when it does? Reality. Qatar has twelve years to bring itself up to the standards it presented to the World Cup team. Sounds like a lot of time, but we're talking state of the art air conditioned stadiums, metro systems, and hotels for starters that have yet to be put into place. That, on top of the already ridiculous amount of construction, will be a living nightmare. Even though I surely won't be here for the World Cup, I will be caught up in the preparation phase. Then there is the outrageous heat from which you can run, but cannot hide. On second thought, you can hide out in some pretty sweet shopping malls. Qatar does not lack in that department. Since I really don't like to dwell on negatives, let's move on to the positives. Hospitality is one of the things that Qataris do best. They have a way of making you feel very welcome and special. Personally, I think given this chance, Qatar will be able to teach the world something about tolerance, graciousness, and kindness, not to mention some mad driving skills. My apologies, couldn't help myself. Since moving here, I've learned so much about "them", you know, "those people". Some of their beliefs are different than ours or maybe some of our beliefs are different than theirs. I'm here to tell you that "those people" eat, breathe, walk, talk, and dream just like we in the West do. We don't have a corner on the market. Let us share it side by side. We have some good friends in them if we can get past ignorant misconceptions. Congratulations Qatar. Take this opportunity to unite us, Muslims and Christians alike. The world is waiting. Build it and they will come.


The crowd's reaction after Fifa announcement at The Pearl

To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

2 comments:

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...