Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Here an Oink, There an Oink
Everywhere an Oink Oink



Swine flu, Mexican flu, Pig flu, H1N1...whatever it is, it seems to be taking up all the news these days. Qatar not excluded. The GCC held an emergency meeting in Doha yesterday to "discuss procedures to prevent the spread of H1N1 flu in the region". The Qatar Tribune this morning had a quote from the meeting that said , "Till date, we have not detected any cases of H1N1 flu in the Middle-East". I thought differently so I checked with WHO this morning and Israel has three confirmed cases. We won't touch that one. You can't wish this disease away, but you can't be ridiculous about it either. The story in the sidebar is about a young man that was on a direct flight from New York to Doha and felt a bit ill upon arriving. To err on the side of caution he made a trip to a local hospital to rule out swine flu and was, to state it mildly, put through the mill. Long story short, he was cleared of any flu, nevertheless, he was put under a ten day quarantine. Overkill? Why go through all that hassle if they're going to isolate you, anyway? I don't get it. I commend those who use caution, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of common sense, either.



thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



2 comments:

  1. take down that tic tac toe. that was a most unpleasant feeling as I am lying in bed about to go to sleep. it would be ok if it just screamed at me but that is a very disturbing picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, darling, I couldn't help myself.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...