Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Proud to be an American

Hi Everyone. Just a few notes about our weekend. It's coming to a close & y'alls is just beginning. Remember, our week runs Sunday thru Thursday meaning the weekend is Friday & Saturday. I really am having trouble adjusting to that. I'm really excited to say that we found the Catholic Church here. Well, the Catholic building, that is. It's just an innocuous stucco building in the middle of a sand parking lot. It seems to be some type of temporary building while they wait for their church to be built. The story is that the Emir of Qatar has donated land to all the different Christian denominations to build their churches. It was a very diverse crowd of a few hundred people with standing room only. Yes, that would be us standing, but at least we had a wall to "pull up". The only other thing of note that happened this weekend was that David picked up his vehicle that he has worked on purchasing for over a week now. It's not quite like buying a car back home. The paper work & loan seems quite complicated & turns into a real process. Yes, my husband the foreign care freak (who owns 2 BMW's, 1 Hyundai, 1 Honda, 1 Volkswagen back home) has moved across the world & bought a Chevrolet Tahoe. Could someone tattoo "I'm an American" across his forehead? His take on this is that it's a foreign car, since we live in Qatar. Hmm, you figure that one out. You would not believe how much I've ragged him about this, well maybe you can imagine. None the less, I've driven it through the crazy streets of Doha, and it drives quite nicely. Y'all don't tell him I said that, now! Okay, one more news flash & I'm done. I cooked this weekend!! We had Arabic style Swiss Chicken. A slightly altered recipe from my wonderful mother-in-law. I could not find a couple of the main ingredients, so we had to improvise. We could not find stuffing mix, so Kristi suggested croutons. I laughed & promptly threw them in the basket. We couldn't find canned cream of chicken soup either, envelopes were our only choice. It turned out okay, but will be better next time with a few minor adjustments. We did have Burger King & Pizza Hut delivered this weekend, too. Delivery is always good. We do our best to provide job security for those people. It's our civic duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...