Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Takeaway...that's what I'm talking about!

For all of those (Regina) that are worried if we're getting our bellies filled during this Ramadan season, rest assured we are thriving. Well, sort of. I've actually cooked SEVERAL times. Ha, take that!! I've even recycled leftovers into new meals. Now, albeit, I don't know if it's appreciated. Somehow I think all those involved would just as soon that Ellie Mae stay out of the kitchen. Yes, the dinner bell has been the smoke detector(s) going off. And yes, Qatar does equip their homes with these gadgets, as hard as that is to imagine. I totally filled the house with a thick layer of smoke while pan frying meatballs. Seems that our kitchen vent was on, but the louvers were closed off & no air flow was happening. Too scientic for me....so the scientist, aka David, fixed it with a rubber band. Anyway, I got right back on the horse the next night & was broiling sirloins. I noted it was really taking quite some time. The mashed potatoes & cucumber/tomato salad were ready. Surprise, the broiler element doesn't work. I had to pan fry them, but thank goodness the vent was working. I decided that this is all an omen from the takeaway (Qatari for takeout) gods. As you can see in the pic, we need to call the colonel for our "Iftaar" meal. You can't say I haven't tried. Back to the pool & bonbons for me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear y'all aren't starving. On the other hand, from your description of meals that you have been cooking, I'm sure they will be glad when Ramadan is over so they can resume the eating out or home delivery. Maybe you have accomplished ridding their desires for homecooked meals!! I'm sure deep down, that was in the back of your mind!! lol

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...