Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

It's Another Day In....

Yesterday...
First stop...braving the dust storm to drop Dustin off at ASD to spend the day with Kristi and friends at school. What school in America would allow this? No problem here. He's already attended a couple of days. Next stop, City Centre Mall to pick up a rocking chair I've been wanting. I don't know why I didn't pick it up the first time I saw it. When I got there it wasn't on sale any longer, so I told them I wanted it at the sale price and was told "no problem". Is anything ever a problem in this country? One of the ever so happy store assistants hauled it through the five story mall for me. Thank goodness. Back to the house to drop off the chair before I go to the "punctury". Is this a word in any other country? I researched it and couldn't find it. On the way, I spouted my usual, "are you crazy?", "get off the road!", "where did you learn to drive?" rantings and I did capture a pic of what I witness on a daily basis. See that white suv passing the black one? Yes, he is as close as he looks if not closer. Anyway, back to the punctury. I've had a slow leak in one of my tires and was instructed by boss man to take care of it. So, while I sat in the car, they jacked me up, took it off, pulled out one huge nail, and had me back on the road in less than fifteen minutes with QR20 ($5.50) less to my name. If you could only witness the construction firsthand in this country, you'd wonder why the puntury is not in my daily routine. Now a quick stop at my handy dandy local grocery for milk and bread. I just love going there. They are so happy to carry my milk to the counter for me. "Madame, I get that!" The hole in the fence at the strip mall where the store is located was no doubt made by a speeding Qatari driven Land Cruiser that didn't negotiate the turn around. I've really no clue, but it's a good guess. As I'm heading home and reach the "hood", I run across a gentleman roped to a date tree. I don't know if they're really called date trees. I just know that they produce dates. I'll leave that research up to you. I found the scene quite interesting and stopped and asked if I could take his picture. Duh, of course you can, wait, let me get a friend. He didn't really say all that. I got that from translating his face. So, I snapped my two for one pic, not getting the original scene that I had hoped for. He was quite proud to show off the dates hanging on the tree, but I was more interested in the twelve inch curved blade that he was using to cut the fronds and the date bunches. Unfortunately, he tucked it away the blade to pose for the picture. It's just another day in Doha.

To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...