Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mosque Tour

I am organizing a mosque tour for our Chevron Phillips ladies' group. It seems that there are ladies that have been here for over six years and have not seen the inside of a mosque. Well, we're fixing to remedy that. Currently it's scheduled for March 10th. I did this purposely during spring break, so that the Kayla & Dustin could tour with us. Well, of course by now you've figured out there just might be a conflict of interest due to David's impending donor status. I hope it all works out because I really want to do this. Supposedly after the tour, we will be taken to a Qatari family's home to share lunch with them. That's the part that excites me the most. I love learning about their culture and look forward to confirming that they are people just like us. I know that sounds strange, but when you see them constantly "veiled" it brings such a cloud of mystery. I don't want to miss out on this tour, so since I'm the one organizing it I'll just have to change the date if need be! Note the sandals at the mosque's door step. Shoes are never worn in side the mosque, hence the foot washings at their call to prayer.

Note: The background music is what we hear five times a day throughout the city. It is played through speakers atop all mosques. It's quite eerie the first few times you hear it. Qatar has more mosques per capita than any other country in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...