Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Better Late than Never?

As I write this, I know I'm in deep doo doo. I've been missing in action now for several days and haven't made one phone call. Sorry, Mom. We arrived in Austin on Thursday to blue skies with beautiful puffy white clouds that I didn't realize how much I missed. Dustin met us at the airport with the first stop being at Luviano's in Kyle for real Mexican food. Later in the evening David and I joined Kayla and Kristi for dinner at St. Edward's and our first acquaintance with Ryan (Kayla's beau). He made a great first impression, and David and I decided we really liked him. But Ryan, we reserve the right to keep our eye on you, just to keep you on your toes! Only the best for daddy's little girl. We crashed by 8:00pm that night with the sun still high in the sky. In Doha the sun usually sets by 6:30pm. Early Friday morning, David and I were sitting at IHOP ordering up our breakfast with the much anticipated bacon on the side. The rest of the day was spent cleaning up the house we have yet to live in ( aka college central) in Kyle. It's amazing what a vacuum cleaner can do if you plug it in and turn it on. A broom is a pretty nifty invention, as well. Not near enough time for cleaning as we were off to St Ed's to meet the girls for the closing ceremony of Kristi's orientation. Kayla's boss had arranged for a St Ed's van to take the five of us to the airport for our flight to Nashville. Now, aren't we special? Little did the three siblings traveling with us know of the surprise that we had arranged to meet at the airport. We arrived at our gate and the girls hurried off to baggage claim. Wow, the plan was working without any effort from our part. David and Dustin waited while I used the ladies' room, then David decided to use the facilities when I came out. Dustin was patiently waiting and I told him to go on ahead to help the girls retrieve the luggage. He looked at me in exasperation and asked, "Is Dad taking a pooh?!" I told him that I thought maybe his stomach was a little upset and that we'd be down as soon as we could. I called David after Dustin headed downstairs and told him that the coast was clear. The self induced stomach problem was our excuse to hang around while we waited for Shea to arrive from Fort Bragg via Raleigh Durham airport. In the meantime, Kayla kept calling for updates on Dad's "condition". Apparently it was the talk of the town downstairs between her, Granddaddy (our Mount Pleasant connection), Dustin, and Kristi. They were all discussing David's ailment and what the possible causes could have been. Shea finally arrived and we headed down to the baggage area with our mystery guest. Long story short, it was a lot of fun and a big surprise for everyone. We only had him for the weekend, but a little time together was better than nothing. Saturday was our Annual Tennessee Fourth of July picnic held on June 28th. I realized this year that we are becoming the older generation as there were kids everywhere that belong to what used to be "the kids" at the picnic. Talk about a reality check. The weather cooperated and we ate like there was no tomorrow. Speaking of eating, I think I hear the dinner bell. Check y'all later!

To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

1 comment:

  1. That is so great that your plan panned out. I'm sure everyone was very excited to see Shea! I hope he makes it to Kyle after he graduates and that I will get a chance to see him.


I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...