Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Italy Comes to an End


We've walked until we can't walk anymore. Thank goodness we are catching our flight back to Doha tonight. We've parked ourselves in the t.v. room at our Rome hotel waiting for a couple of hours to pass before we go to the airport. It turns out that Florence is known for its shopping and naked statues. Problem is, I'm not a huge shopper and the jury's still out on the naked statues. There was that one red leather jacket that I so regret not purchasing. You know how that goes, you snooze you lose. Florence was nice, but I think it came in third to Venice and Rome. The funniest thing we found in Italy was the fact that people stand at the counters in restaurants to eat and drink. Then we found that it wasn't so funny, because the reason they are standing is so that they don't have to pay extra to eat their food. The cafes add a 10% service charge to "wait" on you (and this is NOT their tip) and on top of that they add a $1.50 "coperto" charge for each person sitting to cover their dishes and table setting. Go figure. Our Dolly Parton look alike waitress quickly flipped out the menu and pointed this out to me when I very innocently asked if the service charge was given to her for a tip. As Steve Martin would say, "Well, excuuuuuuuuse me!" Hence, you see Regina standing to eat her gelato. The trip was great, but I think I can speak for both of us and say we're ready to just "veg"out for a while. And the good Lord knows, that we won't be walking in Doha if we value our lives. Thanks for joining us on our Italy travels. See y'all back in Doha!




To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then enter text in box.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is "BRAVO",ladies! You certainly have kept THIS girl entertained.

    Have a safe trip back.
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed your trip to Italy. Love the pics as usual and hope that you and your sis have fun in Doha for the rest of her stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have utilizing my lunch break to catch up on your Qatari Adventures, and I must ask, Is Chevron hiring? If I could ever convince Lana to move to Doha, I would be there as soon as I could catch a flight. What an experience! Plus all of the traveling around Europe looks amazing. I must say that I am really jealous. Continue to have fun and stay safe. Christopher Garza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris! I checked cpchem.com for you, but nothing was available :( Somehow I don't think those grandparents to be are going to let you, Lana, and the new nino out of their sights! But, if they will, it's definitely worth it. Teaching could be an option, as well. Check out asd.edu.qa for opportunities at the American school here.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...