Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What Can I say...She's a Material Girl

David, Kristi, and I made a trip to the souks this past weekend to find material for Kristi a dress. Oh my goodness, I wish I were a seemstress. I would have been in hog heaven. Shop after shop of beautiful silks and chiffons. I don't know if the prices were good, but certainly the selection was. After walking through probably 40 shops, we decided we'd put David out of his misery and take him home. We left with no material, but with a mental note on one for consideration. Kristi and I started out again the next evening on our own. We had decided to go back and purchase "the one" she had been considering, however, we saw one more shop across the street to walk into. Upon visiting this "last" shop, we realized it opened up into another mall with shops and shops of more material. Were we glad that we had left David at home. He would have died. We visited nearly every shop, and Kristi decided she wanted the one we went to get originally. We went back and purchased the material and then had to start looking for a matching solid material and tulle to match. A much harder task than we thought. It's simply amazing how many shades of pink and turquoise there are. It all came together and we found what we needed. A relief. I dreamed of material that night. Upon leaving the souks, we headed to the tailor that Kristi had already consulted. He took a zillion measurements and asked what the date of her "party" was. "Two months?", he asked. We laughed. He didn't. We explained that Kristi is leaving the country on March 15th, so he begrudgingly gave us a March 6th fitting date. That's kind of scary because he warned her that that would just be the lining that was done. "Not to worry", as they always say around here. Time will tell.


1 comment:

  1. I would have absolutely gone out of my mind looking at all that material. That is worse than picking out wallpaper!! lol The pink and turquoise is really cute. And David looks like he was having a really great time!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...