Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, April 18, 2008

All in Good Fun




Al Sadd vs Al Gharrafa aka the "Heir Apparent's Cup was the big news last night. Last years soccer league champions against this years champions fought it out last night at Qatar Sports Stadium. I can't even tell you who won, but all the after game hoopla happening on the corniche last night was an event in itself. We were coming home from the airport last night after dropping Kristi for her flight to the States when we became entangled in a rowdy, honking parade of suvs on the corniche. Qataris were sitting on hoods, on roof tops, and hanging out of their vehicles all while cruising the drag with flags and banners flying. Of course, I had my camera and I knew the pictures wouldn't come out good, but I was snapping away, anyway. I just wanted to give you an idea of how crazy these people can be, so use your imagination! There were cops directing the traffic, but they didn't seem affected at all about people from ages seven to 30something riding on top of the cars traveling 40 mph. Keep in mind that the rule of the road here is "me first", which results in quite hazardous road conditions. All this aside, they looked like they were having the best time and it would have been fun to have joined in with them. I can only imagine what they would have thought of a middle aged (omg...am I talking about myself!) white woman leaning out the window and giving them a big "yeeeeeehaw".

2 comments:

  1. Hey Denise, how 'bout this one...The Keg?? Lol...blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'YEAH-HOO'
    NUFF SAID!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...