Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Milan Magic




AC Milan has come and gone leaving a trail of dust behind. Literally, we are still in Doha. I was surprised to see the stadium nearly full as there was an awful lot of grumbling ahead of time regarding high ticket prices. The costs were probably pretty much in line with professional sporting events elsewhere, but when one is used to getting in for free or for a very nominal fee as Qatar usually offers, it's hard to swallow the real going rates. The game was very enjoyable, and no I didn't get that one out of five hundred perfect pictures. We had great seats...front row, field level, but unfortunately that didn't factor in on the award winning shot that I was looking for. It's ok, I won't care tomorrow. There was a fitting tribute to Jafal Rashed, the veteran Al Sadd player for whom this special game was created. To add a little excitement to the play, Beckham did get yellow carded and let the ref know that he didn't appreciate it one bit. The little girl in the pic being interviewed had just gotten her sweatshirt signed by Beckham, via the interviewer, I might add. What a nice gesture and a keepsake for this little girl. The real news, however, was when we arrived home. There was a newspaper taped to the front door with a note from my next door neighbor, Margaret. Apparently, David and I had made the news (well, sort of) the day before and I missed it. I didn't even open my paper yesterday. So, on the last page of the Qatar Tribune, Wednesday, March4th issue, there we are side by side with David Beckham...ok, maybe that's a stretch, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

If you want to see the picture page in its entirety, click on Qatar Tribune, go to the archives for March 4th, click on the red PDF symbol upper right hand corner, then click on the PDF symbol in the sports column, and scroll through the pics. Enjoy.


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...