Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, November 2, 2007

Desert Sands

We made a little trek this morning to a beach in southern Qatar and met a couple of David's coworkers & their wives. It seemed to be more of a scuba diving area, as that is what everyone there was doing. No sunbathing, walking or frisbee tossing going on. Not really my cup of tea. David didn't dive, since he's been dealing with sinus issues this week. We just went to get out of the house for a bit and check out the area. We drove into the desert a little ways to see what was going on there. That's a little scary. I've decided I don't want to "do" the dunes without and expert guide at the wheel. People just start off roading and I'm not sure I understand how you're supposed to know if you're going to meet up with someone on the opposite side of the dune. I have a great imagination, you know. Head on collisions aren't my thing. There were hundreds of 4-wheelers for rent set up on the roadside heading toward the desert. When the temps start dropping and the natives are restless, I bet it gets wild and dangerous out there. You know how these people drive on the streets...can you imagine in the lawless desert? Note that these are pics that I took of other thrill seekers...they are not us. Kids, do not try this at home. Nonetheless, we do plan on getting out there for an overnight desert safari soon. Are you ready, Kayla? I'm not sure I am, but it's just another one of those things that you can't go back to the states and not have experienced. That's what they tell me, anyway. I may live to regret it. "Live" being the operative word that I want to bank on. We saw a couple of what I guess one would call whirlwinds on our way back home. Something we don't see too much of back at
home. That's about it for now, but before I go I want to give a shout to Bryan (aka Uncle B) for his 24th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRYAN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...