Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Made to Order



It arrived this morning...my made to order corner table to fit behind my sectional. David came up with the bright idea that we needed a table behind the sofa, which in turn got my wheels to turning. Well, we do have a villa carpenter named Jo-El (spelling changed to how it sounds in English). I called the front desk for them to send Jo-El to hang some pictures and then cornered him about making me a table. I told him nothing fancy, just plywood and I'll throw a piece of material over it. "No problem, madame, no problem." I just had to find the plywood, which was not a small task. I started with the yellow pages and let my fingers do the walking. Only problem was, they could walk, but they couldn't speak Arabic. So, I assigned David the job of finding out where we could ascertain a single piece of plywood. The wood souqs, duh. Do they have souqs for each individual product in this country? Sure enough, we found the wood souqs with the directions given to David. The souqs were set up like garages one after the other, all connected, but each was an individual lumbar company. I use the word company loosely. The hustle and bustle, as well as the traffic in the area was ridiculous. Kristi and I sat in the truck while David bargained for a piece of wood. They loaded it up in the Tahoe and we were good to go. Jo-El came by for some precise measurements on Thursday and told me he would have it for me today. When it arrived this morning I was surprised to see that he had gotten Francisco, the painter to sand and stain it. All I had requested was a rough semblance of a table. Well, he outdid himself as the fit is perfect as it curves around the back of the couch. Of course when I asked, "how much", he ducked his head, laughed shyly, and said "whatever you think, madame". I hate that answer. They've got my number. They know that I'll pay them a lot more when they say that, because I'm such a sucker. Nevertheless, a win win situation for all.


To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

3 comments:

  1. I must say that was pretty ingenious to come up with the idea for a curved corner table. Way to go David!! And it really looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "un-birthday" vase would sure look nice on that table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David was surprised that I gave him the credit...my feelings are hurt! I was thinking the same thing about the "unbirthday" present...if I'd only get it glued back together. I did buy something that resembles super glue. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...