Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Prom Cuties


Sorry, guys, I was too tired to post last night after all the hoo-hah at my house. I cannot tell a lie. It is last night at this moment, but I'm pretty sure I won't finish writing this until the morning. I don't know how much longer my brain will hold out tonight. Early this afternoon, Kristi and I finished the final preparations for her pre-prom dinner party and then headed for the beauty saloon. I did not misspell that, remember that's what they call it in this country...maybe because they don't have any REAL saloons. Well, getting an updo here is quite the experience, welcome to Doha. The hairdresser used a blow dryer and a brush to curl her hair. No hairspray, no mouse, no gel, no nothing. Seriously, the reason I use a blow dryer is to make my hair straighter. We kept asking her if she had a curling iron and she kept answering, "no speak English". What was really funny is that Kristi had three of her party mates in line behind her to get their hair done. Check out their faces in the mirror reflection as they contemplate their dilemma. They had a quick meeting and decided to run to Carrefour (as close to Wal-mart as you can get in Doha) and buy a curling iron and go home and do their own hair. Smart move because it took the lady nearly two hours to do Kristi's and we had places to go and things to do. Finally everyone was ready and our Knox party of ten turned into twelve. We had to borrow six chairs from our next door neighbor to accommodate all the kids. The "conference table" as Kristi calls our dining table rose to the occasion. She'll never "dis" it again. After dinner, dessert and coffee, the twelve were whisked away by two limos to be taken to where else but The Ritz for the main event. I'd say that I am sad that it's all over, but that would be another lie. Oh yeah, did you note Kristi's dress....this is the one that we did all the material shopping for in the souqs and had made. I think it has "Kristi" written all over it, and yes, she is a pretty woman :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...