Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Carpet Shopping 101

There is nothing more exhilarating than taking someone carpet shopping in Doha and watching the experience unfold before your eyes while spending their money. Can it get any better? I chronicled my friend Mary's visit, while absorbing loads of carpet facts and sipping on tea from our hosts.

Flip through 100's of hand made carpets

Give the guys a really good workout by saying,
"I want to look at that one on the bottom"

well, not quite, but almost!

Drag your "narrowed down to" carpets outside
for 360° viewing

Get some much needed advice from "the expert"
when the eliminating gets tough

Cha~Ching, we have a winner!

Pack your pricey souvenir and you're good to go

Whoa, that was fun. The downside of taking someone else carpet shopping is that you come dangerously close to spending your own money~defeating the whole purpose. David lucked out this time, momentarily anway. I did see some rugs that would look pretty snazzy back in our Texas home.

Word to the wise: Don't buy the first carpet you see. Ask questions, questions, questions! Shop around over a period of days, weeks, months or however long it takes. Good carpet vendors expect to see you multiple times before you zone in on that one special carpet. Enjoy the ride.


Magic Carpet Ride~Steppenwolf



To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing one adventure of my BFF, Mary. I actually was given a prayer rug from my mother and father when they traveled to India years ago and it is a true prized possession. Mom said Dad "bartered" all afternoon with the craftsman before "settling" on the price. In fact, he took so long and was so into the process of negotiating, that she left him, went shopping in the market, came back two hours later, and he was still making his deal. Of course, he came home with 4 rugs, and felt like he'd won the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it's so funny how you walk in with a preconceived notion of how everything is going to "go down" and it all goes out the window once you start really getting into it. Mary was just about like your dad~it was a grueling couple of hours before she made her decision. Thanks so much for sharing your BFF with me :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL this is SO my mom :) She would buy a rug! Love the design, it looks beautiful and can't wait to see it in person!

    I am jealous about the tea sipping and shopping adventures---sounds like a blast! Thanks for all the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura! I'm so trying to "recruit" your mom. She would make the best partner in crime in my Qatari Adventures. I think we were separated at birth ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sybil,

    We're about to head out carpet shopping - can you tell us where the store is?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was at Bradran's Persian Carpets at City Center Mall. Their website is: http://yp.theemiratesnetwork.com/goto/baaheg/ Click on the contact us link and it lists all their Doha locations.

    Oriental Carpets on C-Ring behind the BMW show room is another great place. Never pressure and they are happy to show you EVERYTHING. They even let me bring one home, try it out, and see if I liked it before handing over a penny. Gave them only my name. Gotta love Doha ;)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...