Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

From the Irish Pub to the American School




Happy belated St Patrick's Day! Our ladies' group celebrated at none other than Bennigans which is synonymous with St. Patrick's Day. The only problem was there was no green beer to be found. Oh well, we survived and enjoyed the shamrock cookies that were offered to us after our meal. We had about 20 plus women and two precious little boys join us...have food, will travel is our motto. Before our Bennigans lunch, I met a few of my photo buff friends at The American School of Doha (Kristi's school) for a "pre-shoot" meeting. The official ribbon cutting ceremony for the school which opened in September is finally happening this Thursday, and we've been enlisted to capture the moment. I'll be in my element, but perhaps out of my league. My compadres' cameras are a bit more advanced than mine, so I will have to try and make up any shortcomings in creativity. The school superintendent wants every angle chronicled for this "Invitation Only" affair, so that they can be published in a coffee table type book . Every angle includes the roof. I opted out on the roof shots. I've become a little more adventurous this past week, but haven't conquered my fear of heights. Our mantra for the outing is "shoot first, ask later". I'm really excited about this photo assignment as you never know which of Qatar's dignitaries will show up. The Emir himself could grace us with his presence or even better Sheikha Mozah, one of his three current wives. She's singlehandedly responsible for the education reform in this country and the advancement of women's status, as well. Anywho, it'll be interesting regardless of who shows. Cheese.

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry, girlfriend. I wish I had just 1/10 of your creative genius when it comes to taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Bennigan's. Fond memories of happy hour Watermelons, followed by driving 90 mph down Hwy 90, being pulled over my the police, separated for questioning . . . And we were GOOD kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran, you are giving out a little too much info there. Lots of eyes read this blog. lol

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, you really are being a troublemaker!!! We did have fun, didn't we? But we were LEGAL!!!! So, if your not 21, don't drink, and if you do, DON'T DRIVE. That's the end of my public service announcement. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...