Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Just Call Me Tex

Our ladies group had an Arabic cooking demonstration a few days ago. We had cinnamon chicken, fattoush, baba ghanoush, mutabal, and namoura. Keep in mind the spelling of these words is quite subjective. We're translating from a different language that does not consist of the abc's that we are accustomed to. Every menu in town will have these words spelled differently, even within the same menu. The chicken was very good, other than the fact that I'm not a huge Arabic food fan. It's probably all in my head....not being able to get past the names of the foods. Give me good old Texas BBQ any day of the week. The most important thing that I learned from Myrna, our Filipino chef is 519-0443. Actually, I made that up, Myrna did not give me the number...I already had it. That is the telephone number of our local Turkish Star Restaurant. Ring ring, delivery please, you cook, you package, I no clean. My friends at the restaurant know me as "Texas". The first time I stopped by while out and about, they asked me where I was from. When I said America and then added Texas, they lit up like light bulbs. Getting all excited while telling me in broken English that they call themselves the Turkish Cowboys. They then proceeded to ask me where my "peestuls" were. I informed them that I left them home in my holster. Since then, I was run down in the parking lot by someone hollering, "TEXAS!", with a new menu in hand for me. So that is now the name I provide when calling in delivery orders...so, my friends, as Paul Harvey would say, "now you know the rest of the story".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...