Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Cart That Makes Me Smile




Ok, Ellen...maybe my creative juices were flowing yesterday. There was just one minor problem, there was nothing in particular that I wanted to talk about. And, gosh knows I've already met my quota in rambling posts. Today I choose to talk about the common shopping cart (so, you say, "You still have nothing to talk about!") Well, that's neither her nor there, so stop interrupting me. You know, the shopping cart (or trolley as it is referred to here) is pretty much the same, but the wheels are a little different. They are designed for the ever present escalators in this country. Many of our "hypermarkets" are located in malls with parking garages, which will require you to transport your buggy via the ramp style escalator. It's a scary thing the first time you encounter it. Your cart may roll just a bit, but then the specially designed wheels grip the escalator belt (thank goodness!) just as you begin to envision yourself chasing a basket all the way down to the next floor while running over a few unsuspecting mall browsers along the way. Who knows, they might have the same dang wheels in the states. I can't honestly say that I've examined them. Y'all can research that and get back with me. Enough already! It's not just any cart I wanted to talk about, it's the cart that's parked outside a store, while the driver of the cart stops to shop in other stores. I hadn't really thought about it until Karen conveyed her amazement to me the other day about people leaving their loaded carts, handbags included, unattended. I was caught off guard and didn't even have the nerve to tell her that I, as well, am guilty as charged. So, as I was at the mall today, I got tickled when I saw this cart parked outside with unwrapped loaves of bread sticking out. I did think to myself at that moment, now that's where I might have to draw the line. Now that Karen is on her way out the doors of Doha, who would ever have thought a random cart of groceries will be what conjures up her smiling face.




To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen one of those cart escalators in Minneapolis at a Target store that is 2 stories. It certainly is something different.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...