Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, August 7, 2009

Taking a Bite of the Big Apple


The girls and I hit the pavement running when we arrived late Thursday morning. We took a scary (very scary) taxi ride to our hotel room across from St Patrick's Cathedral and just down the street from Rockerfeller Center. We were there just long enough to unload our bags and check in, before heading out to the last day of filming for the 10th Anniversary of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" hosted by the man himself, Regis Philbin. It was more fun than I expected and a total nail biter. I'm not going to be the spoiler for the show. so you'll have to tune in on Sunday, August 23rd to see how it went. Also on Thursday we had just enough time to take a bike tour of Central Park. By bike tour, I mean someone else doing the peddling, while the girls and I sat back and relaxed. Yesterday morning we went to the Statue of Liberty and got in line behind a gazillion people to enter the monument. After being in line thirty minutes or so, I heard a park ranger conversing with the people in front of us. Something he said made me question the line we were in. 
Good thing, because we already had our tickets which we just needed to trade in for arm bands. That took about five minutes, which totally allowed us to pass up literally hundreds and hundreds of people all because we had tickets to enter the statue's crown. After three hundred and fifty something of steep spiraling steps, we finally made it to the crown which was way smaller than I would have expected, but none the less we felt accomplished for not pooping out. After our trip back to Battery Park from Liberty Island, the girls and I took a break and had our caricature done, though I'm not so sure it's a true likeness of us. From there we made our way to Ground Zero which I thought would not affect me since 9/11 was so long ago, but when I saw the plaque with the 
words "May We Never Forget" I was overwhelmed with the memories from that day. To be continued...









To leave or read comments, please click on the post's title above.  Then click on Post Comment.  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. NY looks like a lot of fun! I like all the pics. I can't open them up any bigger though so I can't wait to see them in Photobucket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great, girl! I used Kayla's mac to blog and post pics, so I'm going to blame the picture enlargement problem on her :D I have soooo many pics...It might take me a while to get my "official" album together!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...