Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Doha, the City of No Worries

David asked told me last night that my job for the day was to mail off our 75 page tax return to Austin, Tx. Being the subservient wife that I am, I took care of business and as a bonus for him, I decided to top off the tank while I was out. When arriving at the Petrol station, all ten attendants were waving me down to come to their pump. White American woman=nice tip. By process of elimination, picking the happiest face, I pull up and tell him, "all way". Using unnecessary words when English is not the native language is faux pas in this country. Sometimes, I catch myself talking like that when I return to the states. As soon as the attendant starts pumping the gas, I grab my purse to retrieve my wallet. Wallet, where's my wallet? All I have in my purse is a camera and God knows I would NEVER leave that at home. I frantically open the door and tell the attendant, "no money, forgot wallet, no money, you understand?". He just smiles and bobs his head at me all the while, which is Indian for "yes, no, maybe" or whatever you want it to mean at the time. He then walks off and waits on another customer while the ticker is ticking away. New problem. Another guy comes and tops off the tank and says, " 46QR". So I have to start explaining all over again. "No money, forgot wallet, live five minutes, right back". This guy just smiles and does the one sided head bob, which I take it upon myself to translate to "no worries", so I'm off to the races to get my wallet. I return ten minutes later pulling into the station on two wheels with my money in hand to be greeted by smiling faces. I know what they're thinking, "We're getting a really big tip from the W.A.W. today". Only in Doha is nothing ever a problem. No worries, no problem, "ees" ok, seems to be the underlying theme no matter where you go. It's so refreshing. Here's to it staying that way. Inshallah.


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...