Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Right Place, Wrong Time



I know, I've used this song before, but I like it and it fits :)


This weekend was a bust for David and me. It started yesterday afternoon when we went out in search of the motorcycle/car races that were to be going on at Losail International Circuit. First off the weather wasn't good and by that I just mean blustery and dusty. Just general yucky desert weather. When we get to the circuit which is just outside of Doha, there were about ten cars in the parking lot with nothing much going on. We figured the weather was to blame and decided we'd just head back out there today for the finals, but first we'd stop at Doha's Golf Club to witness Qatar's quest to break into the Guinness Book of World Records. After some intense scrutiny from the guard at the gate questioning our sponsorship, where we lived, and our reason for being there, he finally waved us through (it must have been my shiny new camera sitting in my lap that got us in). There were banners everywhere announcing the ensuing fete, crews furiously setting up tables and lighting, and hordes of workers from the restaurant chain that was hell bent on setting the new record of the world's longest sandwich and largest bowl of pasta. The only thing missing was any hint of the sandwich being constructed or the pasta being prepared. The word from the "tweet" that I got was that the event was to start at 10:00am. We gave them a head start and didn't mosey on out to the greens until 1:00pm. I snapped a few pics and it was off to the races. Upon arriving at Losail, we found only five cars today compared to the ten that were there yesterday. We must work on this timing thing. So much for our outings. Bennigan's wins, again.

This looks like serious business...hopefully the record is in the bag for Doha!



thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...