Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Just a Bump in the Road


Here is an example of my new favorite word "wasta". I really don't know what scored this villa their own personal speed bumps (or humps, as they are called in Doha), but money talks as well as wasta so I guess it could be either. No doubt they were having problems with drivers flying down the cut through street. I actually applaud the owners for taking charge of the situation. Unfortunate for us, this road happens to be the one that runs behind our villas, so we get to experience the rather large bumps everyday. Note the barriers that were put on the sand so that they cannot be avoided. I wouldn't doubt that the little white car has been strategically parked there for the same reason. This is the same villa that I reported on back in November with the really cool yard. I do need to note that it's not unusual to encounter speed bumps on random Doha roads, but it's not usually so obvious that they are assigned to one villa. What's really bad is that so many times the paint is completely worn off, so unless you know they are there they can catch you by surprise. Slow down people or you may have speed humps coming your way!



thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...