Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Doha...Is the Price Right?

Come on down, you are the next contestant on...

The Price is Right!

OK, so I'm not Bob Barker and I'm not so sure that here in Doha the price is right, but you can play along if you so desire. I'm to the point in my Qatar stint that I just throw it in the basket, thank goodness, because some of these prices can be shocking. Note: I used to be that shopper that not only did the item have to be on sale, I had to have an extra "cents off" coupon. Ha, those days are long gone.

No Southeast Texas "Party Time" PORK sausage here, so Hillshire Farms BEEF sausage will have to do for that occasional chicken and sausage gumbo. Price: ?????


Butterball "Italian" turkey. Don't ask me why, I thought a turkey was a turkey. Anywho, the grand total per pound = ?????



One 1.2 kilo chicken, which is a whopper in these parts of the woods. At all of 2.64 lbs, my gumbos are a bit smaller these days. The price for this whopper rings up at ?????



Moving on to USA ground meat, which is a hot commodity (for me, anyway). It's not always available, but when it is I stock up. A one pound package will set you back ?????


Kraft pepper jack cheese weighing in at 12oz. Yep, this is the real deal from America...not an impostor like some. The price = ?????



Here we have sliced Provolone cheese from the deli. Pay the lady ????? per pound.



I'm exhausted from all those kilo to pounds and riyals to dollars conversions. Feel free to check my math and inform me of my errant ways. This was just the meats and deli section.

To be continued...






To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!


3 comments:

  1. I was just at LuLu yesterday buying most of those exact things, except I always have to add grated Kraft cheese and many Pillsbury cans of "whatever". I can't look at the prices either! And the total still makes me cringe. But LuLu is better than Mega Money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Thanksgiving, we had to have a turkey of course, a Butterball, big honker (or gobbler), set us back a million dolars. Would have been cheaper to fly home for turkey day.

    This is getting crazy. Since ground beef (and it isn't always 100% beef, seems to be so expensive, I was wondering if it would be cheaper and bought a beef roast or whatever and ground my own. Do you know a bag of decent dog food, in the largest size but so small it wouldn't feed a hamster for a week, costs nearly 100 USD?

    We are now feeding the dogs cooked white fish and veggies. Heck of a lot cheaper....and don't get me started on the price of decent cat litter.

    Glad I have this rant off my chest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shop LuLu, as well, Wendi. Mega Money :P (as you put it) is a bit rich for my blood. Even at Carrefour, the deli meats are nearly twice the price of LuLu.

    Rant on, Jack, Rant on...I feel your pain. Oh, by the way, can I be your next dog?

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...