Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Windmill Powered?

I'm not sure what makes this bakery "Automatic".

Just for the record, they do have pretty good cookies.

This blog is such a learning experience for me. I'm not usually one to just throw info out there without delving into it a bit first (ok, ok, no doubt I have been guilty at times). I was going to suggest that perhaps the windmill plastered above the building was the reason it was called "automatic". You know, a little electricity to fire up those ovens. Well, little did I know, until I Googled windmill...

"The main use is for a grinding mill powered by the wind, reducing a solid or coarse substance into pulp or minute grains, by crushing, grinding, or pressing"

~Wikipedia

Well, shut my mouth. I've always equated windmills with energy and did not know that they are also used to pulverize grain. (Obviously, I wasn't the most studious of students.) Hmm, grain, baked goods...I'm seeing a connection here. So maybe the windmill is well placed, after all. Still not so sure about the automatic part, though.


The Windmill Song


To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!


4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    The windmill is as old as the hills. The technology was exported to the Americas hundreds of years ago. What you know as a windmill for power is actually a wind "turbine" and is the same technology as that used for power stations, etc. In a turbine the blades are turned either by air/gas or fluid. However the clue in your blog is in the name wind "mill". Milling is a process of grinding/cutting using a turning motion.

    In the case of the bakery I'm certain it refers to the process of producing flower. ;-)


    Cheers
    VEE6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I'm getting as old as the hills! I think I should have picked this up somewhere along the way. Thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you lost me at hello...but i love your blog all the same :) i sure didn't know the "mill" part of windmill...where have i been? don't answer that. have a great night and i will have a good day! lori h.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad. I had everything written and then Googled windmill. So I had to start over and something was definitely lost in translation!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...