Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, February 6, 2009

The Cat's Meow



As you know I have all these cats that have taken up residency at my front door. Now that they know that I know that they're homeless, it's up to me to make sure they don't starve. It all starts with the "head cat". These cat's have no names, we just call them as we see them . Anyway, head cat sits at the front door staring in looking and listening for movement in the villa. As soon as he detects either, he starts meowing loudly and "mama cat" runs up and joins him. I couldn't take it anymore yesterday. I was out of food and knew that our Riviera Mart was out of the bagged food, so I got in the truck and headed out to the next nearest mart. I made my rounds in the store (all four aisles) and didn't see any. I asked the guy upfront if he had any cat food and he indicated yes, and said something in Arabic, Urdu, or who knows what to one of his assistants. The guy takes me down the aisle and proudly points at the feminine products. Hmm, communication gap going on here. I look at him and say, "no, no, cat food". I can tell he has no clue, so I start saying, "kitty, you know kitty, meow, meow" in sing song fashion. Oh wow, thank goodness they don't have surveillance cameras in these little stores. It had to be funny, but thinking about it now, it couldn't be as funny as the video I made of our friend Tina at a recent get together doing her chicken bocking, but that's another story. Beware, Tina! Needless to say, meowing is understood in all languages and the gent promptly acknowledged his understanding and found the cat food for me. I got back with the food and started our daily feeding frenzy. The moment you walk out the door, the howling begins bringing in fluffy black cat, sleek black cat, and ugly white and gray cat to add to head cat and momma cat that are already camped out on the porch. Head cat is a bit protective of his food and dares anyone to think about stealing a morsel. Listen carefully and you will hear what I'm talking about in the video below. Oh, and it just happens to be prayer call during the feeding, so there is an added melodious tune going on. Please know that film can't capture the true essence of the frenzy.

You know the drill, stop the music above and click on play.


Look for sleek black cat running from across the street. He comes running out at the seven second mark.



thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



2 comments:

  1. If you ever go to Athens, Greece make sure and take a bag of cat food. I believe there are more cats there than people. Maybe you should start your own cat adoption center!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cats must annoy the neighbours with their meowing. I think you're feeding them too much, they all look pretty fat!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...