Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Taking it to the Streets:
Installment I



I thought I'd share some sights I run across in a typical Doha outing. For me that usually includes one destination and back again. If I get ONE thing accomplished, the day is deemed successful and complete. Every now and then I set out to do a couple of things, but it never fails that after my first task, completed or not, I call it a day. I don't push my luck in this town. I made a trip to Al Ahli Hospital the other day for a routine medical visit. I didn't set out to capture my journey on film, but a few things did catch my eye. It all started when I did a double take upon seeing "Golden Cup Sports". On second thought I knew what they meant, but the first thought was already engraved in my brain. Then down the street I saw this really bright orange SUV with a wheel lock on it. Does he realize he's parked in Doha? Good grief, I've left my car running in this country not wanting my newly purchased tiramisu cake in the car to melt in the heat, while I run into the flower shop for twenty minutes. Well, it is pretty cute. Maybe I wouldn't take any chances either. Next up is the "As Seen on TV" store. It's one of the first stores that caught my eye when arriving in this city. It's just so...Walgreens like? Whatever, it's just funny to me. The next pic is terrible quality, but keep in mind I'm flying down C-Ring taking pics and trying to keep from rear ending the car in front of me at the same time. The Gulf Oil sign is for my brothers and dad who worked for the company many years. It's a rarity to see such a sign where we're from, so it's a bit nostalgic for me. This was just a small stretch of road, but I thought I'd share with those back home some typical and some not so typical Doha sightings. Note that this was installment one. No doubt it could easily turn into a series.


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...