Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mongolian Barbeque Review




We did it, again. We ventured away from the tried and true and bellied up to The Mongolian Barbeque on Al Sadd. David was agreeable, but I knew his insides were screaming Chili's, Bennigan's, or Friday's. He and Kristi share the same affinity for good old American food. Trust me, it was just happenstance. We were in the area and I said, "oh, pull in here", catching David pretty much off guard. There is a Mongolian BBQ in Austin that we've enjoyed a few times, so why not try it in Doha? Ok, you naysayers, that was a rhetorical question. This one was very much the same, but with fresh meat and seafood as opposed to the freeze dried stuff that the Austin one offers. I loaded up my bowl with fresh shrimp, onions, peppers, broccoli and other fresh veggies from the bar and added a couple of ladles of sweet and sour sauce before presenting my creation to the chef for stir frying. David, of course, made his a little more complicated adding chicken, beef, and shrimp along with a ton of veggies. The final product was tasty with nice presentation and the service was impeccable. I deliberately saved half of my meal knowing that David would be an easy sale for coffee and dessert afterward. We headed to Le Notre to take a gander at their generous dessert menu. Giving David cart blanche on the selection, since I called most of the shots that day already ( ok, all) he picked out the tiramisu. When he told the waitress his choice, she wrinkled her nose and said, "sir, maybe you would like to try something else" as she started pointing at other items on the menu. What the heck does that mean? Were they out? Or as they say here in Doha, "finished". It was like pulling teeth, but she finally admitted, "it doesn't taste good, sir". Appreciating her blatant honesty, David asked her what to order and she had no qualms about picking it out for us. It was a mountain of custard filled biscuits covered in chocolate sauce. It was very good, but we'll try something new next time and share the love. Have a sweet day, peeps!


Disclaimer:
I have no idea what the words to the song playing, but when I find a song called Mongolian Barbecue and that's what I'm blogging about it's a no brainer. I trust that it's not offensive!


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



2 comments:

  1. Your food looks great! Don't remember any shrimp in Austin at the Mongolian Grill. That would have been my pick. Shrimp, onions, bell peppers! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is very cool.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...