Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Doha or Dust



This is yesterday's news and it was all over the Doha blogosphere. Several of my blogger friends posted immediately and scooped me. Good for them, as I LOVE reading their take on Doha.

I took my walk this morning at 11:00,which still qualifies for morning even though my rival walking friends set out four hours before me. It was a typical beautiful morning with the scent of Frangipanis filling the air. The birds were singing, the jackhammers were hammering, and the workers were bustling as usual. I returned to the villa and sat down to my laptop when a sudden yellowy gloom came over the windows. It was really odd so I got up see what was going on and saw that a dust storm had suddenly kicked up. In the matter of two to three minutes it had gone from beautiful to a dusty haze all around. I took a few pics, sat back down and the door bell rings. It's Kumar, "clean today, madame?". I had to laugh, "Kumar, look how sandy and dusty it is, how 'bout tomorrow?". He says, "yes, yes, dusty" and went off into this excited broken English diatribe with "tsunami" being the only word I understood. You see, Kumar went through the December, 2004 tsunami that hit Sri Lanka. I think the suddenness of the change of the weather brought back memories of that day. For me, it canceled my invitation to tea at The Four Seasons Hotel. I already had my next post title ready: Tea is the Reason Four the Seasons. Get it? Four Seasons? Never mind, hold onto your rotten tomatoes for that corny thought! Anyway, the word on the street is that the dust storm represents the change of seasons and that winter is over. Sorry Punxsutawney Phil, no six more weeks over here.


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



1 comment:

  1. Poor Kumar! That must have been awfully frightening for him.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...