Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two Big Little Words

Fresh from reading a blog post by "I Care" regarding the near absence of the words, "thank you" by his own people, I encountered exactly what I think he was talking about this afternoon. I was at the deli counter at LuLu while a worker was slicing up and packaging some meat for an abaya clad woman. Now, I cannot assume that she was a Qatari, but most likely she was from Qatar or the near vicinity. Even though the gentleman was quickly working to get her order out, I noted that she was breathing heavily and seemingly annoyed. When her order was placed on the counter by the worker for her, she didn't give him the time of day, a smile, a simple thank you, or even just a nod of the head. Of course, at this point, "I Care" is bouncing all around in my empty little head and before I could check my mouth I spouted out from the adjacent counter, "Say thank you!". Her whole demeanor changed instantly as she looked me in the eyes from twenty feet away and as friendly as can be said, "Thank You!". I just had to shake my head and smile back. She didn't get it. She truly didn't get it. She said it because I told her to, never even questioning why and went on her merry way. Maybe it will come to her later when she replays in her mind the two word conversation with the crazy white lady at the grocery store and just maybe those two little words that can mean so much might fall off her tongue next time.


Thank You ~ Dido


Note: For those that follow me, you know I love this place AND its people. I am not in the business of Qatari bashing and that is not what these thoughts are about. So, please don't take this post out of context! Enough said.

To read or leave comments, please click on comments link below. Thanks!


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog and keep up writing :). I like the part when you compared between Qatar Living and I Love Qatar- "same same " but different lol.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...