Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, August 9, 2010

The ABC's of Ramadan

Any day now, the crescent moon will be spotted and the thirty day fasting period for devout Muslims will begin. For non-Muslims, here are my simplistic rules to live by during the Ramadan season. Hmm, now that I think about it, most of these I follow year round...

Abstain from drinking, eating, chewing gum, and smoking in public during daylight hours.

Be respectful of the way you dress. Ladies, cover from cleavage to knees, please. Not a bad idea for you guys, as well!

Curtail any road trips in the hour before sunset, due to hungry people driving in a mad rush to get home to prepare for their breaking of the fast or iftar meal. I know, driving crazier than usual, hard to imagine.

'Sup at one of the lavish Suhoor buffets at Doha's finest restaurants, such as The Ritz. The food and cultural experience is worth the pricey entry fee.

Also, don't forget the malls, government facilities, and retailers in general will have adjusted hours for the season. Restaurants, other than a few at hotels and very select venues, will be closed during daylight hours. Things, as a rule, don't run quite as smoothly during the season, so above all, keep your patience. Ramadan Mubarak!

To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. syb...i just read the bikini and cell phone stories...REALLY? i mean...first of all...why walk in a bikini anyway...ok...second thought...she was stupid...just arrest her :)

    But the little clothes for the cell phone are a bit much! that is the craziest thing i have ever heard!

    good luck during ramadan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...the bikini story cracked me up. She must have really snapped to do that!

    The cell phone "burqa" story is satire! Not really true, but it had me going for a while, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is funny...i thought it was real! y'all have the craziest things over there....didn't make me think one little minute. sounded like a real, crazy story to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do take this oppurtunity to wish to express my sincere Ramadan felicitation to all my fellow members.Guys do make your Ramadan more joyful than ever. Ramadan Mubarak !


    http://www.nestle-family.com/my-ramadan/english/ramadancalendar-qatar/

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...