Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Fort Zubara

David and I jumped in the Jeep and pointed it north on Saturday and drove for what seemed an eternity through the deserted Qatari desert. Along the way all I could think about was that next time we will bring along emergency rations for the ride. Breaking down in an isolated area with the extreme temps here...well let's just say, one wouldn't last long. My imagination running amok, as usual. Anyway, we finally landed in Zubara, more specifically, Fort Zubara, 100k or so later. Not really that far, but seriously, sand is sand. So, there wasn't much scenic break along the way, but it was worth the drive to see the fort in all its glory. The structure appears to be ancient, but apparently was built in the 1930's. A bedouin man met us at the gate flashing a ten riyal bill at us indicating, pay up and I'll let you in. I'm not so sure he was there on official capacity, but David forked it over, just in case. It was a great outing and truth be told, I enjoyed every minute of the unremarkable drive. Until next time...









To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Sand is sand indeed. I went downward last week to reach that inland sea close to the Saudi border, and it was outright exciting.

    I enjoyed my three days in Doha. Please have a look at the text on my blog. It´s written in a foreign language I hope you understand. Comments in English welcome -they do exist there!

    We should be grateful to to the Gulf Times because we´ve discovered your quite interesting bloggy by means of that funny piece about your car as an oven.

    C U!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but the southward sand dunes near the Inland Sea are gorgeous. No dunes up North, just flatness. My Spanish high school classes are far behind me, but it looks like you had a great three days! Good luck on your continuing journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st, there is a buried city behind the fort.
    2nd, the guy with white beard is a Pakistani. Unless they have changed the crew.
    3rd, i don't remember there is fees for entering the fort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you mention it, Naz...I think he may have been Pakistani. You're always keeping me in line. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...