Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sightings Along the Way

Our trip through the desert this past weekend was not as boring as I would have lead you to believe. We took in quite a few interesting sights along the way, as we drove through Al Khor, Al Ruweis, and Al Shamal. I was surprised at how homey and quaint these small towns are. The only drawback for me was the nonexistence of American restaurants. I mean, I didn't expect any, but if they build them, I will come.

I think someone in Al Ruweis has his own
Qatari man-cave.

"man cave n. A dedicated area of a house, such as a basement, workshop, or garage, where a man can be alone or socialize with his friends."

Satellite and patriotic paint job included...nice!



Another camper, but this one parked in front of the Al Sultan Beach Resort in Al Khor. Their "honeymoon suite", perhaps?



An abandoned dhow in Al Shamal. Looks like it may have been there longer than the U.S.S. Minnow!



Another abandoned dhow, but perhaps this one...intentionally ;)


Fisherman in Al Khor. I love the simplicity of fishing in Qatar. No fancy lures, spinners, reels...a string, sometimes attached to a pole will work just fine.



Boater in Al Khor. Boat docks and ramps not needed. Land Cruiser in reverse will do the trick.




Gilligan's Island Theme Song

To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we have American restaurants in Al Khor -- unfortunately, they are burger joints and pizza take out. And of course, Krispy Kreme and Baskin Robbins. When those places opened in roughly March 2009, you cannot imagine what a revolution it was for us here in the Khor. We still do not have a coffee shop, and as you drove into town, Sybil, you passed the unfinished Lulu, promised to open this past spring, but we will be lucky if it opens next spring -- very few signs of activity there. Life can be bleak here in the desert at first glance, but the quiet is relaxing and the ocean views are quite nice. Next time you come to the North, we will show you around the Hood properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you as we were driving around, Jack. I saw the Lulu...very exciting. I really did love the feel of the town along with the nice beach area y'all have. Now, when Mickey D's turns into Chili's or Bennigan's, let me know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, wow, as a matter of fact my husbands job in in Al khor, and he told me that he likes it there better than Doha, but as u said everything is far from it.. no restaurants or malls or even schools! he said the houses are nicer.. but Doha is better for us coz it's more convenient !!

    Nasim

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...