Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, June 9, 2008

Where There's Smoke There's...



The Events of Thursday, June 5th

I think today's post will get us up to speed on our Tennessee/North Carolina adventurers that joined us this week to celebrate Kristi's graduation. If my memory serves me correctly, this was one of those extra lazy mornings when no pots were banging in the breakfast hours. I just sliced up some apples and cheese and passed the plate around. My "hostability" was falling apart. No eggs, no bread in the house. We made up for it with a trip to Nando's for lunch for their world famous Peri Peri flame grilled chicken. Well, that's what their website says, anyway. It was excellent, so if you're ever in the D.C. area they're opening one up this month. We walked around City Centre Mall a bit after eating and stopped at a kiosk for a little gelato to top off our meal. I wasn't kidding when I told you that's the favorite pastime here...eating and shopping. And, we can hang with the best of them. After lazing around during the evening hours letting our food go down, Bob was reading my Discover Qatar book and was taking it quite to heart. He blurts out, "It says here that one shouldn't leave Qatar until experiencing shisha". It was only 9:00pm and after all, Qataris never get cranked up before then, so we hit the pavement to the souqs. Ok parents, this is where it gets a little questionable. You may want your children to leave the room or using my best Ricky Ricardo impression "you might have some "splainin" to do". We stopped at Al Bandar for our late dinner, which was delicious I might add (if you don't count the head on Granddaddy's fish). We had a little Arabic dessert and then some shisha to top off our meal. Remember, the book said that this MUST be done while visiting, so we did our best to obey. JoJo and Granddaddy defied the rule and opted out of our antics. I think they were just deathly afraid that they would soon be blog fodder if they joined in. We chose the double apple flavor recommended by a friend that was sitting at a table near us. Bob is going to shoot me when he sees his pic, but as Flip Wilson used to say, "the devil made me do it". It looks like it's right out of an old Cheech and Chong movie. You know the one..."Up in Smoke". I wasn't going to add a pic of David and myself, but I figured I'd be in a heap of trouble if I didn't. The funniest thing about this whole situation is the multiple takes that we had to do to get the pics just right. Sherry and I weren't very good at this stuff. We'll keep our day jobs. Keep in mind, people, this is all on the up and up. No funny stuff or even not so funny stuff was going on here. Just 100% pure entertainment for the rest of the crowd at Al Bandar as they watched a table of middle aged people cough and choke while laughing and taking endless pics for the history books.

To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know Syb...you and David kinda look like pros with that shisha. How was it anyway???? Please tell me we won't be running down to the souqs every day for a shisha "fix".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you never know what kind of trouble I'll be getting us into when we all return in the fall. I'll take the fifth on your other inquiries!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...