Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

To Load or Not to Load



It was inevitable, just a matter of time before the camera nailed us for something. Police here have a different role than back in the states. You will never see someone get pulled over. As a matter of fact, I saw a cop get "flashed" the other day and he promptly retreated to the right hand land to let the Land Cruiser behind him by. I've probably discussed this before about how cars don't even yield to emergency vehicles or police with flashing lights. But, put a camera in and a new found respect abounds. You see the cameras and radars everywhere and you know when and where to slow down. The cameras are prominently displayed in straight aways and at intersections just waiting to catch you speeding or "jumping" the light. Well, our ambiguous faux paux which David found while checking the government website was "loading or unloading the vehicle in a dangerous manner". Are you kidding me, I haven't seen a kid in a seatbelt in this country, yet and they want to give us a ticket for dropping someone off on the corniche, if indeed it did take place. This supposed infraction occurred on the corniche in the evening hours on a weekday night when David is already tucked in bed and I'm curled up on the sofa with my laptop and Fox News. Now, I can't honestly say that there is no way that this occurred, but as for right now any possibilities are escaping me. Be assured that "they" will win as I hand over my 500Qr ($137) traffic fine.

To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

2 comments:

  1. lol...The camera is likely to get you at one time or another! lol I have heard of others getting this fine as well, so who knows what it is really for. I personally have racked up quite a few traffic violations myself, mostly speeding, this was before I knew that they really worked.

    BTW-just from experience as well, don't speed through the interestions, we got hit with a fine from that last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I spoke to another "Doha Lady" yesterday and she said her ticket said the same thing, but it was actually for speeding...some type of coding problem. Speeding makes more sense...I can't wait to go see if it's me or David in the pic!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...