Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Beautify Me


Our neighborhood beauty saloon, "Midnight Fantasy" finally opened this week. It's next door to the Turkish Star Restaurant that we frequent (remember, the Turkish Cowboys?) . Every now and then I would stop by and see if the door would open, but it was always locked. Well, I was pleasantly surprised the day before yesterday when I pulled on the door and it flew open. When I peeked in ten eyes stared back at me, first in shock and then in excitement that a customer had arrived. Of course they all knew my name, "Hi, Madame!" they said in unison. I told them how excited that I was that they were open and they told me, "First day, first day". I then realized, they weren't really open. They were all practicing on each other's hair, which I must admit made me a tad nervous. Of course, you know I had to ask where they were from as I do everyone in this country. Three were from Tunisia, one from the Philippines and the last one was an abayaless Qatari which is quite a treat to see. Wow, they are real people. I knew that already, but I do love the gentle reminder. Sometimes it's just really hard to see past all the coverings and quite refreshing when you do. In broken English, the Filipino proceeded to list all the things they could do to make me beautiful. I decided I'd let them practice a few days and then I would go back with my reinforcement, Kristi. Well, we went this afternoon and I got my hair cut while Kristi had a manicure and pedicure. We took our respective seats and waited for the guinea pig process to begin. A few minutes after being seated, we were presented with little china cups of delicious coffee. After an exchange between the stylist and myself via the receptionist for translation, she started snipping away. I was surprised when she really seemed quite confident and cut my hair as though she knew what she was doing. Did I mention that I was the one that had no confidence? She started blow drying my hair after the cut and then motioned for her assistant. The assistant whips out these big aqua blue fuzzy rollers reminiscent of the 60's. I'm like, "no, no, blow dry is good". OMG, no way were those prickly things going in my hair. She didn't seem offended and finished up the blow dry, which I was pleasantly pleased with. Kristi's nail tech seemed quite pleased herself, as she admired her own work and then smiled at Kristi for affirmation. After a few pics, we bid our new friends farewell and decided we had some catching up to do. We took our beautiful selves to Starbucks. There's nothing like Starbucks to facilitate female bonding.



To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then click on "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the post.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so where's the picture of your "new do?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that one coming when I posted this morning...it was just a trim. Truly nothing to write home about, even though I did!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...