Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Almost, Freda

Welcome to Doha, The Land of Almost. That's what my friend Freda calls it, anyway. My one assignment on tap yesterday was to score tickets to the women's Sony Ericsson tennis tournament that's going down in Doha in three weeks. It was no easy feat, I say. It all started when they were advertised to go on sale on September 24th. That didn't happen, not even almost. I called Khalifa stadium a while back and was told that they were going on sale on September 30th. Well, almost. I showed up on that day to purchase them and was told that they would go on sale on October 5th. Well, almost. The gentleman at Khalifa told me, "maybe tomorrow", but then laughed. Ok, that was up for interpretation? So, when I called the stadium on October 6th, I was informed that "yes" they were indeed on sale at Khalifa and Landmark. Well, almost. I showed up at Landmark with cash in hand and was told that Khalifa and City Center were selling them. So, I jumped in the hoe and drove to Khalifa. I stood in line for an hour outside in the heat while the line almost moved three feet with only forty more feet to go. My math calculations were telling me that this could take a while. So, while I was in line at Khalifa, I called Khalifa and asked if tickets were indeed, without a doubt, on sale at City Center. He confirmed and I took my chances and headed to the mall. After three hours in line, a tall cup of latte, and great conversation with complete strangers that I'll now call friends, I walked away with some pretty nice tickets for what's sure to be an awesome tournament. You were almost right, Freda!

thoughts
To read or leave comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


8 comments:

  1. Girl, you have more patience than I do. No way I would have shuttled around that much!! Glad you finally got your tix, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My officemates waited 2 1/2 hours in line last night. It's amazing how excited everyone is this year - the Tennis Federation could barely give away tickets last tournament (or so I heard).

    I'm just happy there are things to do in Doha again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to announce that we are now proud customers of Direct TV which allows us to view the Tennis Channel. Beginning October 27, the Doha tennis tournament will be aired every day through the finals. I'll be watching for you....hope you have a very LARGE sign that distinguishes you from the rest of spectators! C'mon Syb, this is a chance to let your creative juices flow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sybil,
    I am just curious about this detail. How does the local dress code for women not apply to the ladies that helped you with the tickets? I guess, since you dress as a Texan, they can do the same as long as their Father or Husband, whichever man is in charge at the moment, does not object. (I am clueless about the norms of Doha... is it really that obvious?) Pour yourself a bourdon when you have a chance and tell me about how all this dress code for women works...
    Olehere is Blond (actually is gray)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syb,
    A "bourdon" could actually be a fat finger problem or I could make something up like... a bourdon is really a bourbon on a really serious day. A day on which the burden is so heavy only a double bourbon will so... a bourdon therefore is born.
    Actually though, it was a fat finger...
    Olehere (after too many bourdens.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen...I'm not so sure about the sign. I cannot recall ONE sign in past tournaments here! We'll see. I'm glad you'll get to see it. I know how you LOVE tennis!

    Ditto on the things to do here, Mer. I originally bought into other people's mentality that there was nothing to do in Doha, but discovered that they actually have a lot going on for such a small country.

    The black abaya (robe) and burka (head covering) are worn by Qatari women mainly. It is their traditional dress. 80% of the population here is not even from Qatar and therefore dress as they please (hopefully being respectful of the people here). Other expats of the Muslim faith usually just cover their hair with scarves. It is very liberal here unlike Saudi, where all women must "cover" in public.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog. It is great. I'm from Texas as well...Beaumont. Thanks for all you are sharing! I tried desperately to get tickets...I did the 'almost' thing several times and in the end missed it by a day. All of the box seats were sold and the lower section. I'm really bummed. And you are right, there is a lot going on here for such a small country. My calendar is completely full!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amber! Thanks! It's truly a small world. I had to quit a wonderful job in Beaumont to come here. It's a shame you didn't score any tickets. If I have any friends that need to unload theirs, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...