Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Should I Fake It?


For the five years prior to us moving here, I religiously had two fake eggs for breakfast daily. Day in day out, never wavering. Enter Doha. No such creatures. Well, not on my side of the country anyway. I never venture to the much acclaimed MegaMart on the other side of cholesterol corner (Ramada Junction) that possibly could have stocked the item. Since I've been here my motto has been, if my local Carrefour doesn't have it, I don't need it. So, for the last two plus years, I have faithfully had two fresh eggs everyday. Keep in mind when I say fresh, I'm talking poop still on the shell with the occasional feather sticking to it. I kid you not. I finally made a trip to LuLu last week when they were actually open*. Lo & behold before my eyes these yellow cartons jumped out at me. Eggbeaters! I wasn't even looking for them. Cool, I'll load up. Hmmm, QR 20.75 per 16oz carton. Let's do the math. Eight eggs=QR20.75 or $5.70. Advanced math: $8.55 a dozen. Ok, I'll buy two. Qatari fresh eggs are $1.54 per dozen! Aaaayyayayaaaaa. Am I worth it? You're damn right I am. Yeah, whatever big talker. That's $42.75 a month just for me to have fake eggs in the morning. Never mind my pot of coffee, toast, and fresh fruit that I add to it. Oh, the dilemmas we face in life.

*Related post: Friday Faux Pas

thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


4 comments:

  1. Since you're faking it, no beef bacon? Went to MegaMart today for the second time in the year we've been here, for goodies we can't find anywhere else, left w/three bags, 620 QR....way overpriced for the little we got. Lulu rocks, but prices not as good as Carrefour. Have you even seen those red and white hard peppermint candies, like you get at Pizza Hut back home? Need to buy some to make peppermint ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beef bacon, somehow, does not do it for me. As for the peppermints, do the TGI Friday's handouts work? I have a stash of them that I would trade for a scoop :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better check the date on your "fake" eggs sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, you raise a good point, Karen. I'll have to check that and get back with you!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...