Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hardly Easy

I have to share one more photo that I took on our TGI Friday's outing at Landmark two nights ago. If you're not a local, be it Qatari or expatriate, you may not understand some of the "rules and regulations" in Qatar. You've probably figured out by now that it is an extremely conservative country, though not nearly as much as its neighbor, Saudi Arabia. Most people here still have their hands and feet in tact and I haven't heard of any stonings taking place, public or otherwise (and if they have, I honestly do not want to hear about it!). Some of these rules can be a bit murky such as those regarding pda...public displays of affection. The most common pda you will see is that of men holding hands while strolling the corniche or the malls. Since homosexuality is strictly forbidden here, it's up to one's own interpretation of what exactly they're up to. Other than that, you will see the occasional hand holding of married couples, but not of unmarried. That would be haraam. Movies at the local cinemas are censored so that offensive things like kissing and beyond will not be witnessed so as not to let the evil ways of westerners rub off. On the flipside, the cable tv provided by our villas shows all types of nudity and smut, but I guess that must fall under a different category. So forgive me if I find this life sized poster advertising "better sexual performance" quite amusing. "When life seems easy and it seems hard"? Hmm.


Click on the poster pic to enlarge so that you can read it.

thoughts
To read or leave comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...