Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fridays on Tuesday



With no leftovers to be found and not wanting to order out, David and I made a rare week night appearance at TGI Fridays. Shortly after arriving, we decided we were definitely out of our zone and entering into what one might recall as Rod Serling's , "The Twilight Zone". Being a weekday, we thought the atmosphere would be subdued and relaxing, there we go thinking again. The couple next to us had two children around two and five. The kids never sat with the parents. They just roamed the restaurant seeing what waitstaff they could trip or what table they could terrorize. Then there was the screaming baby three tables over that went on and on. Ok, I could handle that, as I did birth four children myself and understand how that goes. What I didn't understand were the kids skating up and down the aisles around and around the restaurant as though it were their private rink...oblivious to the fact that people were paying for the dining experience and not for extracurricular entertainment. Then there were the four locals at the booth next to us with a cellphone laying on their table top turned to speakerphone setting having a conversation as if they were sitting in the comfort of their own homes. Next, the waiter (of Asian descent) comes up to our booth and says, "Y'all finished?". Y'all? Do y'all know how many times Kristi chastised me in this country for saying that? Next I glance up at the big screen television, and I mean big screen, and there is this soccer player, not to be outdone by Mia Hamm*, running across the five foot panel pulling his shorts off because he has just scored a goal. "Where are we? What are we doing here? Is it Tabasco overload?" I think from now on we'll stick to the day we are supposed to eat at that place. After all, it is called "Fridays", duh.

*CORRECTION: I've been informed to check my soccer facts. After some research, I have discovered it was BRANDY CHASTAIN that removed her jersey to reveal her sports bra on that infamous day. My apologies to Mia.

Raw footage of unruly kids at TGI Fridays. (To get the full effect, watch while eating your evening meal.)



If you care to see a grown main strip down to his skivvies on the soccer field, be my guest:




thoughts
To read comments, please click on the post title at the top. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that was one noisy evening out. I guess they don't have skating rinks there. And I guess they don't need one since you can go to the restaurant and skate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we have been in Doha too long, I didn't see anything wrong with their behavior. They were just trying out their new Heelys (YUP, AUTHENTIC HEELYS WERE SPOTTED AT TOYSRUS)! Now get a clip of a kid hitting their nanny...now that is an unruly child! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen a little girl hitting her nanny while the nanny was holding her AND it was while waiting for a table at TGIF on another occasion. I was praying it was only "love taps", but I really knew better. I must get the low down on disciplinary rules in this country (or lack of). Hmm, sounds like a post when I get the hard facts.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...