Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

You're Asking Me?





David and I took a stroll on the corniche after lunch today and then parked ourselves on a bench on the water's edge. The skies were blue, the dhows were zigzagging, and families were everywhere enjoying the beautiful afternoon. The EID holidays are still upon us and the masses were obviously taking advantage of them, as were we. While we were mesmerized by the beautiful afternoon, a gentleman walked up to us with pen and pad in hand and introduced himself to us as a journalist with a local Arabic newspaper called Al Watan. He wanted to question us about our views of Qatar and any thoughts we might have on their upcoming "National Day" on December 18th. Of course, you know me well... I gave him an earful. Yes, to the amazement of some of my fellow expats, I sang the praises of our temporary land. I told him of our appreciation of all the welcoming people, the feeling of safety that we have, and the absolute thrill I get every time I get behind the wheel of the Tahoe, never knowing what that day has in store for me. I'm sure he thought I was a bit nuts, so I did add that the Emir, along with Sheikha Mozah (the third wife, I believe) is doing a wonderful job of moving this country forward while trying to keep peace among those in disagreement within the region. He then took our picture and not to be outdone, I took his, as well. He told us to look for the article in his newspaper on the 17th or 18th of December. I smiled and asked, "Isn't your newspaper in Arabic only?". His smile back to me was the answer. Ok, so it's not Rolling Stone Magazine, but wouldn't it be a hoot if we really did make the local Arabic newspaper? It would be quite interesting to see how our views would come across in the translation. Who knows the Muttawa could be banging on our pink doors about this time next week. Pray for us!

thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...